Monday, September 22, 2008

TV premiering tonight: Worst Week

I have watched a lot of terrible TV shows, so believe me when I say that this is easily one of the worst. Watching this pilot, I had that sort of "I can't believe this is actually a TV show" feeling, and I can't imagine it lasting very long in its current state (then again, I remember having that feeling about 'Til Death, and that monstrosity is still on the air). This "comedy" about a hapless moron trying to impress his fiancee's parents is painfully unfunny and mean-spirited, with the main character bumbling from one unbelievably stupid blunder to another. He practically ruins the lives of all the other characters in 22 minutes, so I have no idea how the show could possibly sustain for a whole season. It makes Meet the Parents seem like a paragon of subtlety.

I guess the British version was quite popular, so maybe it's a matter of something not translating well, or maybe it's just personal taste. I find the comedy of awkwardness very unpleasant to watch (which is why I can't stand things like Borat), but at least with something like The Office you can see the humanity and real character development behind the uncomfortable silences and misunderstandings. There is no humanity to this show; it's just a black hole of insulting cynicism. CBS, Mondays, 9:30 p.m.

No comments: