Monday, May 09, 2005

Weekend viewing

Cronos (Guillermo del Toro, 1993)
Del Toro is a director I always feel like I should like, but all of his films end up leaving me feeling sort of underwhelmed. I keep watching more in hopes of being more impressed, and now I've seen all of them without getting there. This one again has flashes of things that interest me, but overall it sort of left me cold. Del Toro has an interesting take on the vampire concept, which is so far from the traditional ideas that I'm not even sure it qualifies as a vampire story at all. I think that's the problem I had with this movie - it's not sure if it wants to be a creepy cautionary tale, a goofy horror-comedy, or a supernatural meditation on aging. It tries to be all three and doesn't quite succeed. Still, like most del Toro films, there was enough for me to like that I'll watch whatever he does next in hopes of finding that undefinable quality that will make me like it as much as I think I should.

No comments: