Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Crunching the numbers

Although like most critics and culture-obsessives I have always been a fan of lists, 2007 was the first year that I kept a running tally of all the movies I saw. While not as detailed as the lists maintained by my sometime Las Vegas Weekly colleague Mike D'Angelo (check out his 2007 list here), it's still a good way to quickly see how I spent my movie-watching time this year. I found this list very useful when making my year-end picks, and I plan to make another one for next year (although I am far from the comprehensive documentation practiced by Newsweek's David Ansen). For my own amusement more than anything else, I thought I'd break down the numbers into some possibly interesting or illuminating categories on the ways I watched movies in 2007. Whether this will be of interest to anyone else, I have no idea.

Number of movies (feature-length, watched in full) I saw in 2007: 258
Number that were first released theatrically in the U.S. in 2007: 173
Number seen in theaters: 141
Number seen at film festivals: 22
Number seen at regular commercial showings with paying audiences: 11
Number seen on DVD: 100
Number seen from Netflix: 33
Number seen on VHS: 6
Number that I had already seen at least once before all the way through: 9

No comments: