Saturday, December 04, 2004

Movies opening this week

Closer (Jude Law, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, dir. Mike Nichols)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
Reaction on this one has been very mixed, and personally I was kind of torn about it. While watching the movie I was very impressed, but thinking about it afterward a lot of what seemed cool to me just came off as empty. It's very flashy in its own way, with lots of twisty turns of phrase and vulgar language that is meant to be shocking, but has strangely little meaning behind it. It's probably worth seeing just for the acting, though - the National Board of Review was right to give it a special award for ensemble acting. I think Natalie Portman will become a respected, sought-after movie star after this and her performance in Garden State, as well she should. Too bad she's got another stilted Star Wars prequel still to come. Wide release

No comments: