Thursday, June 09, 2005

I am huge in Canada

For the last couple of months, I have been appearing weekly on the Charles Adler radio show, a Canadian talk show based in Winnipeg and airing on the radio station CJOB. Once again showing the strange power of the internet, Adler's producer, who is originally from Las Vegas, found a two-year-old story I wrote about stops on I-15 between Los Angeles and Vegas and asked me to come on the show to talk about it (why people in Canada care about roadside stops in the California desert, I'm not quite sure). Apparently my appearance went over well, and I told the producer I'd be happy to come on again if they ever needed any expertise on Vegas. I also mentioned that I was a movie critic, but I figured that if they wanted a movie critic, there must be someone at whatever local papers they have in Winnipeg.

Apparently not, since they had me on the following week, and every week since, to talk about new releases. I am highly amused to be a fixture on "Manitoba's Information Superstation," and somewhat horrified to find that people are actually paying attention to me and remembering what I've said from week to week. A few weeks ago I ended up taking calls from annoyed (but polite; remember, they are Canadian) Star Wars fans. It's all very surreal, especially sitting on the phone at my desk in Vegas and sometimes forgetting that I am being broadcast to all of greater Manitoba. I'm usually on at 3:30 Eastern/12:30 Pacific on Fridays, and if you're so inclined, you can listen to the show here.

No comments: