Friday, April 14, 2006

Movies opening this week

Game 6 (Michael Keaton, Robert Downey Jr., Griffin Dunne, Ari Graynor, dir. Michael Hoffman)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
Ebert and Roeper have gone nuts for this movie, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were largely responsible for its getting as extensive a release as it has (and making it to somewhere like Vegas). The film's press kit includes a DVD of their entire segment on it, and they've mentioned it on at least one episode since the initial review. Other critics have been less enthusiastic, and I thought that overall the film didn't quite work, despite some strong performances and interesting moments. Still, it's heartening to see that at least certain critics can wield enough influence to help the prospects of a small film that they believe in. Opened limited Mar. 10; in Las Vegas this week

Gilles' Wife (Emmanuelle Devos, Clovis Cornillac, Laura Smet, dir. Frédéric Fonteyne)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
I always tell the guys who own the comic book shop I frequent about the movies opening each week, and when I was describing this movie I mentioned that it was French and a bit of a downer and sort of slow, and one of the guys said sarcastically, "Oh, I love slow, depressing foreign movies," but the irony of course is that he really does love slow, depressing foreign movies. And I do, too. This isn't the best example of one, but it has a lovely lead performance and a really beautiful visual style. Opened limited Nov. 16; in Las Vegas this week

No comments: