Friday, December 16, 2005

Movies opening this week

King Kong (Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Adrien Brody, dir. Peter Jackson)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
As excited as so many people have gotten over this movie, I am already sort of bored with it. It's a fun spectacle that's way too long, but if you expect that you'll like it, you will. As much as I admire Peter Jackson's skill and passion and all the effort that went into making this movie, it still bothers me a little that so much talent and so many resources are expended on a lavish re-creation of an old movie. I realize that this is exactly what Jackson wanted to do (and it's his lifelong dream project), but I wish that the very small number of directors in Hollywood with Jackson's sort of clout would take the risk of actually telling a new story. Wide release

No comments: