Thursday, September 27, 2007

TV premiering tonight: Big Shots

I ran out of time yesterday to post on the four new shows that premiered last night, so, briefly: I hated Private Practice possibly more than I hate Grey's Anatomy, which is saying something - you can read my entire Las Vegas Weekly review here; I liked Bionic Woman despite its sometimes obvious sci-fi tropes, and plan to stick with it; I thought Life was a bland procedural saddled with a random collection of quirks and another lame overarching mystery, and none of it fit together very well; and I was a little disappointed in Dirty Sexy Money, one of the shows I was most anticipating this season - it was campy but not all that funny, seemingly unsure of whether to be serious or goofy, and it comes with yet another unnecessary slow-burn mystery that really annoyed me. But since I do love soaps and there was enough there that had potential, I'll give it another shot.

I'm glad I have time to post today and warn people away from one of the worst new shows of the season, the vulgar, sexist and lamely predictable Big Shots, which makes out like it's Desperate Housewives for men but doesn't even achieve that past-its-prime show's level of intelligence and depth. Despite an impressive cast that includes Michael Vartan, Dylan McDermott and Joshua Malina, it's just a bunch of cliched misogyny, pathetic soapy twists and unearned moments of sappiness. The dialogue is terrible and the characters are hateful, no matter how likable the actors may be. Cane and Dirty Sexy Money may have their flaws, but at least they're not insulting, and anyone looking for a fun soap should focus their attention elsewhere and let this one just fade away. ABC, Thursdays, 10 p.m.

No comments: