Friday, May 02, 2008

Movies opening this week

Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr., Jeff Bridges, Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, dir. Jon Favreau)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
The hype on this movie has been overwhelming, but that hasn't really bothered me (it helps that I have a cool free Iron Man action figure sitting on my desk right now), and the movie looks set to make a ton of money this weekend, which is also fine with me. Not that I loved it, but it's a well-crafted piece of blockbuster entertainment, exactly the sort of thing you hope for from summer movie season. Given the inevitable avalanche of crap that we are going to be subjected to in the coming months, this is at least a pleasant way to start. Wide release

The Year My Parents Went on Vacation (Michel Joelsas, Germano Haiut, Daniela Piepszyk, dir. Cao Hamburger)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
This is one of those innocuous, perfectly pleasant foreign movies that in a year I will entirely forget I even saw. Still, it has some good acting from the lead kids, and a nice look to it, and I can't really think of anything bad to say about it. Opened limited Feb. 15; in Las Vegas this week

No comments: