Sunday, August 04, 2013

Shark Week 3: This Time It's Personal

According to The Hollywood Reporter, shark movies are big business right now. In the five years since I first put together a week's worth of posts about shark movies in honor of Discovery Channel's mega-popular Shark Week, the market for low-budget shark-attack thrillers has greatly expanded. At the time I first came up with this idea, I figured that there wouldn't be enough interesting shark-related movies to sustain more than one week. Then two years ago, I did another week. And now there are so many shark movies being churned out that I probably could have expanded this project to an entire Shark Month.

The success of Sharknado has certainly fueled interest in cheesy shark movies, and I am here to cater to that interest. Unlike past Shark Weeks, this year's edition will feature almost exclusively recent movies, although it will of course culminate with the third Jaws movie, in keeping with my established tradition. Starting later today and for the next seven days, I'll be writing about movies that feature sharks attacking in a supermarket, a water park, the snow, a lake and the boring old ocean (I will not, however, be writing about Sharknado, because the last thing that movie needs right now is more coverage). Until then, here are the posts from the last two Shark Weeks:

Shark (1969)
She Gods of Shark Reef (1958)
Deep Blue Sea (1999)
Spring Break Shark Attack (2005)
Dark Waters (1993)
Open Water (2003)
Jaws (1975)
The Deep (1977)
Shark Attack 3: Megalodon (2002)
Tintorera: Killer Shark (1977)
Beyond the Reef (1981)
Sharktopus (2010)
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (2005)
Jaws 2 (1978)

No comments: