Friday, March 18, 2005

Movies opening this week

The Ring Two (Naomi Watts, David Dorfman, Daveigh Chase, dir. Hideo Nakata)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
I don't quite understand why they got the director of the original Japanese version of this franchise to direct if all they were going to do is have him make a boring horror sequel that ignores most of what made the first one interesting. I think the remakes and copycats of J-horror are getting to be a bit much, but The Ring was good and they could theoretically made a good sequel instead of this bland film. Wide release

The Upside of Anger (Joan Allen, Kevin Costner, Erika Christensen, Evan Rachel Wood, Keri Russell, Alicia Witt, dir. Mike Binder)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
Man, did I hate this movie. Sometimes I find certain movies so objectionable and then I read other reviews and don't find the same vitriol and wonder if I am crazy. The same thing happened with Spanglish, although I hated that one much more and also found at least some reviews that agreed with me. I wish there were better vehicles for female actors that actually gave them strong roles to play instead of condescending to them while pretending to celebrate them; all of the actresses in this film deserve that chance. Opened limited Mar. 11; in Las Vegas this week

No comments: