Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Weekend viewing

Miss Congeniality (Donald Petrie, 2000)
The downside of being a movie critic is that sometimes I have to do things like review the sequel to Miss Congeniality, and in order to be thorough and fair I have to watch the original Miss Congeniality to prepare. You can imagine how that goes.

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Robert Aldrich, 1962)
After seeing All About Eve a few months ago, I was so smitten with Bette Davis that I added a few of her most well-known films to my NetFlix queue. In retrospect maybe this wasn't the best place to look for a brilliant Davis performance, since this movie is total camp and Davis is way over the top in her fright wig and pancake makeup, giving the kind of hammy performance you expect from a legendary actor in their later years (cf. pretty much anything Al Pacino does these days). Anyway, I did enjoy this on a silly camp level, but didn't find it particularly suspenseful or frightening. Maybe I expected too much.

No comments: