Friday, October 28, 2005

Movies opening this week

Saw II (Donnie Wahlberg, Dina Meyer, Tobin Bell, Franky G, dir. Darren Lynn Bousman)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
I have a feeling we are going to be stuck with this franchise for a while. I guess it could be worse - this could be The Butterfly Effect 2. Oh, wait. Wide release

Separate Lies (Tom Wilkinson, Emily Watson, Rupert Everett, dir. Julian Fellowes)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
It's always annoying when a movie works really well until the end just goes off the rails. In this case, the last 15 minutes or so don't ruin the movie, but they detract from the overall tightness of the plot and the theme, and I came out feeling a little disappointed, rather than unreservedly impressed. But this is still a solid drama with very good performances, and the very end sets things back on the right track. Opened limited Sep. 16; in Las Vegas this week

The Weather Man (Nicolas Cage, Michael Caine, Hope Davis, dir. Gore Verbinski)
My review in Las Vegas Weekly
The more I reflect on this one, the more I like it. I might even bump the rating up to four stars if I wrote the review right now. Yes, it's sort of slick and Hollywood-y, but it doesn't shy away from being dark and pessimistic, and I think it, in its own quiet way, it says something substantial about accepting who you are, even if your life is completely mediocre. This is a movie about learning to settle, and why that's actually not a bad thing, and I think it's a very interesting position to advocate. Worth seeing; don't let the negative reviews dissuade you. Wide release

No comments: