Thursday, October 13, 2005

Weekend viewing

The Harder They Fall (Mark Robson, 1956)
The last of the trio of movies I'll be discussing at my film series for the Vegas Valley Book Festival (October 17-19 at 7 p.m. at the Winchester Cultural Center! Come watch me make a fool of myself!) and the one I enjoyed the most, mainly because it wasn't about a boxer. The main character is instead a washed-up sports reporter (played by Humphrey Bogart in his last role) who gets involved in the corrupt management of a naive South American fighter. It's dark and cynical, although it does have that redemption at the end, and is more about betrayal and deceit than it is about boxing (there are only a couple of fights that are shown at any length). I still think boxing movies are not my cup of tea, but we'll see if I can find something intelligent to say to make up for that fact at the screenings.

No comments: